Getting Fresh with the Black Hills Farmers Market
A great benefit to living in Rapid City, would have to be that I never have to travel long to get out and enjoy a gorgeous day. Whether I’m going for a hike, visiting Mount Rushmore or simply relaxing at the lake or one of the parks, I always love to pack a lunch. What better way to enjoy the natural beauty of the Black Hills than with some fresh ingredients produced by local farmers?
My favorite time of year is when the vendors have the fresh peaches out! There’s something about those farmers market peaches that are extra sweet and taste, especially great when I want to make a homemade peach cobbler. I don’t always have the time to bake with the fresh ingredients myself, so sometimes I’ll treat myself (and my dinner guests) by picking up a pie from one of the booths. Fresh, homemade pie without any of the work? Sounds like an ideal situation to me! If you’re worried about how long your fresh finds will last, be sure to ask the experts! The vendors can give you tips for storing and preserving your finds.
If you find you don’t have a use for the fresh fruits and veggies while you’re here, I’d recommend you at least stop by and pick up something canned. Homemade pickles or jams make for the perfect way to get a taste for the area once you’ve returned home and they’re easy to throw in your suitcase (just put them in a shoe, or wrap in one of your shirts). They’d also make for a great souvenir for someone that wants something more unique…and who doesn’t love food?!
The Black Hills Farmers Market has been providing locals and visitors the opportunity for fresh produce for 26 years now. Get the most out of the Black Hills Farmers Market with these 5 fresh tips:
1. Season Dates: The Black Hills Farmers Market starts around May 1 and goes through November.
2. Days and Time: The Farmers Market is open Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. On Tuesdays and Thursdays local artisans are able to set up their handmade crafts for you to look at and buy. Saturdays are for food only, so come hungry! Saturdays also feature a special events tent.
3. Location: The Farmers Market home is at Founders Park in Rapid City. The park is at the base of M-Hill, easy access to the bike path and offers great shade if you want to sit by Rapid Creek and enjoy your market finds.
4. Don’t have cash? You can still buy: Stop by the information booth for all the details, but the Market Manager can take a credit card payment on behalf of all the vendors, making it super convenient if you didn’t have time to stop by an ATM
5. Ask questions: These vendors are the experts in their field. Get advice for best ways to store and prepare your fresh finds. You may even discover a new favorite!
BONUS tip: Share! No, you don’t have to share your delicious fruits and veggies, but we do love when you share photos and stories of your experiences. Use the hashtag #VisitRapidCity on Instagram or Twitter, we’d love to see where you take your Farmers Market Finds!